Car insurance in English for expats in France

Vehicle insurance in France

We provide the following as standard for your vehicle insurance in France:

  • accident forms in English
  • roadside assistance (similar to that provided by Green Flag/RAC) in 42 countries with/without the car – this means that even if the car is at home and you and your family are abroad, via another means of transport, the family are still covered

This policy is akin to a travel insurance policy for all the family! You could also opt for a replacement vehicle option.

car-insurance-in-france-cartoon-2 (1)

Insuring right-hand drive vehicles in France

Car insurance in Europe doesn’t function in a global market fashion. UK insurers consider that once someone is resident in France, then their UK car insurance can be regarded as invalid. So if you have just arrived in France with a right-hand drive car with UK plates, you need to find an insurer here in France. We can help! Here in France we are able to offer:

  • cover for foreign-registered cars for up to three months. This initial period can be extended. The registration – separate from the insurance – used to be handled by your local préfecture but the system changed at the end of 2017. You now need to make your application either with an approved garagiste or on-line at Agence Nationale des Titres Sécurisés (ANTS). Note that on-line applications can involve a delay of at least 2 months before you receive the registration document you’ve applied for.
  • a solution that could be better value than paying extra for a short-term green card


Although we can indeed provide cover for your right-hand drive vehicle, we’d question why you’d use a foreign-registered car here in France. It can be argued that you are not as safe as you would otherwise be … and does your front-seat passenger really like being propelled towards oncoming traffic whenever you overtake? Probably not!

The Constat Amiable d'Accident Automobile

This is the loveable little form that European insurance requires you to keep in your glove box. You are probably aware that these forms are available in English. In the UK insurers issue them with your green card. Well, you can complete these in English – even if your car is French-registered – and you can submit them to us (in English) if ever you need to make a claim through us. That’s all legal and acceptable. You can download an English version or an English and French version of this form from this page on our website. And there’s more, too… We have some clear and important advice for how you fill in these little beauties. See the ‘Who’s liable?‘ page or email us for more detailed information.

Discounts for dashcams fitted and working

From October 2015, Prevencia is offering a generous 10% discount on car insurance policy premiums when a dashcam is fitted, working and in use. You can read more about this in our blog post entitled Ten percent premium discount when a dashcam is used.